Football, comics and college newspapers, not necessarily in that order.

 
Daily
Ann Althouse
Hugh Hewitt
Instapundit
Power Line
TPMMuckraker
Volokh Conspiracy

Badger Blog Alliance
McBride Media Matters
[WisPolitics Releases Cal]
Wheeler Report

PressThink
Testy Copy Editors
Chronicle of Higher Ed
New Assignment.Net
Obscure Store
RealClear Politics

Anime News Network
The Beat
Comics212.net
Comics Worth Reading
Dave's Long Box
Great Curve
Journalista
MangaBlog
Manga Life
Manga Worth Reading
Neilalien
[Newsarama News Feat]
Webcomic List

Best Week Ever
Bookslut
ESPN
Football Guys News
Popcultureshock

Weekly
All the Rage (S)
Carnival of Recipes (S)
College Stories (S)
News of the Weird (S)
Numbers Guy (M)
PFW Whispers (M)
TMQ (T)
The Onion (W)

Student Press
Inside Higher Ed
Newslink Campus Papers
SPLC News Flashes
"Student Newspaper"

Journalism
ACES Midwest
ASNE
Assignment Editor
Banterist
Bartleby
Blogslot
A Capital Idea
Journos for Open Gov
Convos in Citizen Media
Copy Editor
Eggcorn Database
Encyclopaedia Britannica
Etymology Dictionary
Grammar Hell
J-Blog List
Jargon Lexicon
Journalist's Toolbox
Journolist
KR Washington
Language Corner
Language Log
Media Bistro
Media Nation
Merriam-Webster
Milwaukee Indy Media
Muckraked
News Designer
Newseum Front Pages
Newslink Newspapers
Oh My News
Online Journalism Review
Plagiarism.org
Plagiarism Today
Poynter Institute
Reason
Regret the Error
Secrecy News
The Smoking Gun
Triangle Grammar
Wis. Newspapers
You Don't Say
Young Journos
Zabasearch
Lake Geneva News
Oshkosh Northwestern
Post Register
Telegraph Herald

Comics
Publishers
Comic Book Publishers
AdHouse
Alias
Alternative
Aspen
Caliber
CMX Manga
Dark Horse
Fantagraphics
IDW
[Image News Blog Forum]
Mirage
Oni
Slave Labor
Tokyopop
Top Shelf
Vertigo
Viz

The Rest
BlueLinePro
Broken Frontier
Buzzscope
Comic Book Bin
[CBR News Forum]
Comic Foundry
Comic Treadmill
Comicon
The Comics Journal
Comics Reporter
The Comics Review
Discount CB Service
Flight
Indy Propaganda
Japan Plus
Khepri
Lo-Fi Mag
Manga Pontification
Mars Import
Mechademia
Morning Improv
Previews
Quimbys
Sequart
Size Matters
Small Press Swap Meet
Supernaturally
When Fangirls Attack

Others
Addicting Games
ArtsJournal
Arts & Letters Daily
Beer City Poker
Bug Me Not
Globe of Blogs
Group Hug
Hit & Run
Liberty Unbound
McSweeneys
Memepool
Mperia
NaNoWriMo
Philosophy News
Play in the City
PokerStars Blog
Referer
Reincarnation Portal
RealTime Fantasy Sports
Salon Audiofile
Tao of Poker
Too Many Chefs
The Trash Palace
Utne Reader
Waiter Rant
Wright Stuff Draft Blog















 
Archives
<< current


































Cyclic Synchronicity
 
Sunday, April 25, 2004
 
April 24: 24-Hour Comics/NFL Draft Day.

Here's my diary of April 24, 2004, as I concentrated on two things: my 24-hour comic and the 2004 NFL draft:

1:21 a.m. While watching Iron Chef Hiroyuki Sakai take on American Bobby Flay in "Iron Chef America," I started laying out the first few pages. Just sketched out the panels, nothing big.

1:35 a.m. I finished panel layouts for pages 1 and 2 and sketched out page 1. My eyes are too tired to continue, especially with the Flay-Sakai battle heating up. Elapsed time on comic: 14 minutes.

1:46 a.m. Has Alton Brown grown out his hair since "Good Eats?" Has he gotten some Botox injections? These are the things I wonder.

1:59 a.m. Bobby Flay wins! Then Flay calls Sakai the "Babe Ruth of Iron Chefs." It can't get any worse.

8:01 a.m. I can barely see the numbers on the clock, but somehow I'm awake enough to start up on my comic again.

8:30 a.m. I'm on page 2 and I'm feeling the pressure. How am I supposed to get 24 pages worth of comic?

9:10 a.m. I've got the first page done. Woot! Even so, it took me nearly an hour and a half, and the first page is pretty barren, being the lead-in. Part of page 2 is completed also. Elapsed time: 1:23.

9:49 a.m. At just over two hours passed, I'm done completely with two pages. Elapsed time: 2:02. It's at this point that I figure I'll complete my comic in 24 non-continuous hours. Break time.

11 a.m. The 69th annual NFL draft begins. Now I only have to wait another four hours before the Green Bay Packers pick at 25th overall.

11:04 a.m. First Pat Tillman reference. Over/under is 13 for the first hour.

11:30 a.m. Completed first four pages nearly. Elapsed time: 2:32.

12:30 p.m. Michael Irvin knocks Texas wide receiver Roy Williams for staying in school. I knew this would be fun.

2:28 p.m. Started working on my comic again after watching way too much NFL draft and eating lunch.

2:46 p.m. Added some darker tones to the first four pages. Elapsed time: 2:50.

3:14 p.m. Watching Michael Irvin and Ron Jaworski battle over the merits of starting QB Carson Palmer in his second year is hysterical. This is the highlight of the draft so far, Eli Manning be dammed.

3:28 p.m. Packers select Ahmad Carroll, a cornerback from Arkansas. The past half-hour made me nervous wondering what the Pack was going to do.

4:37 p.m. Round Two begins. I also realize I will probably not complete more than my current four pages of comic. Oh, well. One-sixth isn't too bad.

6:39 p.m. Packers are on the clock.

6:41 p.m. Maybe they'll just trade down.

7:25 p.m. Round Three begins. I'm still waiting for Green Bay's second pick.

7:44 p.m. Packers select cornerback Joey Thomas from Montana State. At least McKenzie's days are numbered.

8:50 p.m. The Packers moved back into the third just to select a punter? I'm officially worried about this next season.

I only completed 4 of 24 pages. Even though I wasn't successful in this endeavor, it did get me motivated to complete some other comic ideas I've had in my mind for a while. And even though I did technically quit, I'm happy with the part I did finish and happy that I was able to generate my interest in doing something similar again.

10:14:00 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
 
This page is powered by Blogger. Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com